Whenever a country moves away from God, it begins to seek out new gods. In the days of ancient Israel these took the form of actual false gods such as Baal, Asherah, and Molech. However in today’s world these “false gods” can take on more subtle forms. Money, fame, or ambition can all be personal idols.
In recent years though, we as a nation have taken to other idols. False gods of tolerance and diversity to which we are made to genuflect, even if doing so makes us violate our consciences. These gods even have their own high priests in the form of media figures, politicians, and celebrities. Sadly this idol worship has not been without its victims either. Anyone who won’t bow is shamed into silence and attacked. Sometimes even people I know have been subjected to horrific abuse on social media for daring to contradict political correctness. In recent years, many examples have come to mind.
• Hillary stated that “deep-seated cultural codes, religious beliefs and structural biases have to be changed” in order to make room for abortion “rights.” Are you pro-life and intolerant of child murder? Well too bad for you. Your thoughts and beliefs are “incorrect” and must be changed because they disagree with “women’s rights (to murder children).”
• Being pro-life is being treated as grounds for being called “sexist” or “misogynistic.” “Researchers” are attempting to argue that being pro-life makes one “sexist.” This notion has been promoted heavily by the Democratic party in its “War in Women” rhetoric in recent years. And of course this is the basis for the recent “women’s rights” march accusing Trump of being “sexist.”
• In Oregon, Sweet Cakes, a bakery owned by bakers Aaron and Melisa Klein were targeted because they refused to help enable a gay wedding by selling a cake to a lesbian couple, due to their religious beliefs. Despite having done business with the same couple in the past and only refusing to participate in their actions, the Klein’s were fined $135,000 for “discrimination.” They were branded as “homophobes,” and their bakery was shut down, despite the fact that they have a family of mouths to feed.
• The disastrous consequences of political correctness are not merely things that happen in isolated news reports either, but things I have witnessed first hand. In one such incident a kind-hearted young women who I had known from YouTube made a video wherein she expressed disagreement with homosexuality. Despite the fact that the video was polite and quite the opposite of hateful, a vile mob of leftist social justice warriors attacked her with rape and murder threats, and sadly bullied her off social media.
• In California, the bill SB 1146 was proposed in an effort to attack my own school, Biola. The reason was Biola’s code of conduct, which promoted traditional marriage and values for its students, and prevented people from going in the wrong gendered bathroom. As a result, radical left-wing extremists in the legislature attempted to shut down student loans to the college by intentionally equivocating the schools restrictions on various same-sex behaviors with discrimination against those engaging in them. Fortunately, it failed, but had it succeeded, Biola would have financially collapsed as an institution.
Of course, numerous other examples exist with people being labeled “misogynistic,” “sexist,” “racist,” “homophobic,” “transphobic,” “xenophobic” “bigoted” etc. People who dare to espouse different views are then socially or economically targeted, even if they are just peaceably living out their beliefs. A complete list would be much too long for this article of course. However, as can be seen from this short list, the national idolatry of political correctness has gone way out of hand and the consequences of this have begun to damage our nation.
Fortunately though, God always has a way to dethrone idols, whether they be at a personal level or a national level. Recently just such a thing has begun to happen with the current election and subsequent inauguration. God also sometimes picks the most unlikely of people to do His work. Sometimes they are even the last people we would expect.
During the presidential primaries, I had waffled between Rubio, and then Carson, and then Cruz, but there was one candidate, who at the time, I wasn’t too sure of. Sure I liked his bashing of political correctness, but I felt he had dubious political credentials. He also seemed to be a bit of a maniac.
However, God has used “maniacs” in the past to accomplish things “nice” people wouldn’t do. To illustrate, let me point out one such “maniac.” 2 Kings 9 recounts the story of a certain military officer who “drives like a maniac” named Jehu. Elisha was told by God to anoint him as king over Israel.
At the time, Ahab had just died and Ahab’s house was still in charge of Israel. Ahab’s widow Jezebel, who perhaps may be reminiscent of another presidential candidate, was presiding over this house. Ahab and Jezebel had of course introduced much idolatry into Israel and there was no peace as a result.
However God decided to use a “maniac” to change all of that. Jehu had Jezebel literally “overthrown” from an upper story window, before getting rid of the rest of Ahab’s house. After Jehu was made king, 2 Kings 10:20-27 tells us that he set about to rid idolatry from the land, by setting up the priests of Baal with a little “surprise:”
And Jehu said, “Sanctify a solemn assembly for Baal.” And they proclaimed it. Then Jehu sent throughout Israel and all the worshipers of Baal came, so that there was not a man left who did not come. And when they went into the house of Baal, the house of Baal was filled from one end to the other. He said to the one who was in charge of the wardrobe, “Bring out garments for all the worshipers of Baal.” So he brought out garments for them. Jehu went into the house of Baal with Jehonadab the son of Rechab; and he said to the worshipers of Baal, “Search and see that there is here with you none of the servants of the LORD, but only the worshipers of Baal.” Then they went in to offer sacrifices and burnt offerings.
Now Jehu had stationed for himself eighty men outside, and he had said, “The one who permits any of the men whom I bring into your hands to escape shall give up his life in exchange.”
Then it came about, as soon as he had finished offering the burnt offering, that Jehu said to the guard and to the royal officers, “Go in, kill them; let none come out.” And they killed them with the edge of the sword; and the guard and the royal officers threw them out, and went to the inner room of the house of Baal. They brought out the sacred pillars of the house of Baal and burned them. They also broke down the sacred pillar of Baal and broke down the house of Baal, and made it a latrine to this day.
Like Jehu, this candidate went on to become president, and we know the rest of the story, as Trump was inaugurated a little over a week ago. Of course there are no literal “priests of Baal” to kill today, but our modern day Jehu, despite all of his flaws, appears to be doing a good job turning these sacred cows of political correctness into hamburgers. Once these idols are gone, and all of the delicious hamburgers are eaten, America will then have a choice of coming back to God. Hopefully, our nation will make the right one.